What is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. It is the inflammation caused by excessive stretching of the plantar fascia, the broad band of fibrous tissue which runs along the bottom surface of the foot, attaching at the bottom of the heel bone and extending to the forefoot. When the plantar fascia is excessively stretched, this can cause Plantar Fasciitis, which can also lead to foot problems such as heel pain, arch pain, and heel spurs.
With Plantar Fasciitis, the bottom of your foot usually hurts near the inside, where the heel and arch meet. The pain is often acute either first thing in the morning or after a long rest, because while resting the plantar fascia contracts back to its original shape. The pain often subsides as the day progresses and the plantar fascia continues to be stretched.
The Causes of Plantar Fasciitis
Over-pronation (flat feet) is the leading cause of Plantar Fasciitis. Over-pronation occurs in the walking process, when the arch collapses upon weight bearing, causing the plantar fascia to be stretched away from the heel bone.
Other causes of Plantar Fasciitis include:
- Wearing ill-fitting shoes
- Having high arches or flat feet
- Walking, standing or running for long periods of time, especially on hard surfaces
- Being overweight
- Tight calf muscles or Achilles tendons.
Treatment and Prevention at Foot Solutions®
There are many ways to help treat and prevent plantar fasciitis:
- Add arch supports to all of your footwear
- Regularly stretch your calf muscles using stretching aids
- Wear more appropriate footwear, especially if you are going to be on your feet for long periods of time
- Use night splints to reduce morning heel pain and keep the plantar fascia muscle stretched overnight
- Ice your heel and keep it elevated when you are not on your feet
Foot Solutions® specialists work tirelessly to source and develop products that are ideal for helping to treat Plantar Fasciitis and heel pain:
- Custom arch supports to support the plantar fascia
- Supportive shoes suitable for everything from sports to dress wear
- A shoe with rocker sole that has proven helpful in treating heel pain
- Night splits to keep the plantar fascia stretched at night
- Foot Solutions® Gel Heel Cups
Visit one of our locations for a free fitting & free digital foot assessment.
Have a question? Contact us and we will be delighted to give you an answer.