What is Metatarsalgia
The metatarsal area is the region where the toes join the rest of the foot, an area often subjected to added pressure because of body weight., Metatarsalgia (commonly referred to as ball-of-foot pain)can occur in the region between the arch and the toes. Pain results when the balance between the metatarsal bones (long foot bones) is thrown off.
Metatarsalgia can be caused by several factors, including the following:
- Increased pressure on the metatarsal heads
- Wearing constricting footwear or high heel shoes
- Ligament injuries and joint irritation
- Calluses or skin lesions that cause the weight on the foot to be unevenly distributed
- Aging, which tends to thin out or shift the fatty tissue of the foot pad
- Activities that place tremendous pounding on the ball of the foot, such as jogging.
Treatments and Prevention at Foot Solutions®
Foot Solutions® offers a variety of foot-health products such as pads and insoles along with comfort footwear to help treat Metatarsalgia. These can greatly relieve the pain and stress caused by the condition.
Other treatment options include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Choosing better shoes, such as low-heeled over high-heeled shoes
Remember to see your doctor if you think you are suffering from Metatarsalgia. If pain is severe, you may have a metatarsal fracture and should seek treatment immediately.