Mortons Neuroma is a foot condition that usually occurs on the sole of the foot, between the third and fourth toes, as a result of excess pressure in this area. Neuromas are often described as a sharp pain, a burning or numbness, or a feeling of having a small stone underneath the foot.
A Mortons Neuroma typically develops after the foot has been overused, particularly in a way that has put pressure on the toes and caused stress to the nerves inside this part of the foot. Ballet, and other forms of dance, may lead to the development of this condition, and it is also more likely to occur amongst runners and in people who wear high-heeled shoes on a regular basis.
How Can I Treat Mortons Neuroma:
- Good shoes. Prevention is better than cure, and the most important way to care for your feel is to wear good shoes that fit you well and provide ample cushioning and support. A specialist store such as Foot Solutions can help you to find shoes that fit your feet well, measuring the width of your foot as well as the length.
- Use custom orthotics. Custom made orthotic inserts can make a world of difference to the way your feet feel in a shoe. An orthotic that is specifically designed to fit your foot will take the pressure off the nerves, muscles and joints and allow your feet to recover.
- Get fitter. If you are overweight, it is possible that the solution could be in losing some weight to reduce the strain on your feet. Being overweight increases your risk of many foot diseases as well as other illnesses, and you should consider this a great way to look after your health.
- Pain medication. You may feel that it is helpful to take pain-relieving medication while your foot recovers from this condition, and this should be considered as a short-term measure. If pain persists, visit your doctor.
- Steroid injections. Steroid injections are sometimes considered as a method of treating Morton’s Neuroma, and can be very helpful in relieving the pain associated with the condition.
- Surgery to treat Mortons Neuroma is usually considered as a last resort, and involves removing some of the tissue around the nerve to create more space, or removing part of the nerve itself, which will cause permanent numbness. You can discuss your options with your doctor.
Find Shoes to Relieve Foot Pain in Ireland
Wearing footwear that is not supportive enough for your feet causes many foot conditions, and good shoes can make a world of difference to you. You’ll feel better and stay healthier if you find shoes that keep foot pain at bay. Visit Foot Solutions today for a free gait analysis test and we’ll help you to find the best solution for your feet.