Movement Is The Best Medicine
Getting outdoors and moving your body is one of the most effective ways of improving both physical and mental health, and the Spring is a great time to start exercising more. Whether you are a beginner or are in training for a marathon, you can set yourself up for success with Foot Solutions, and make sure that your feet don’t hold you back this year.
You’ll need footwear that is suited to your feet and to the type of exercise you’re doing, and we can help you to find the perfect options. We have an experienced team of pedorthists who will assess your feet using the latest biomechanical technology and discuss your health and lifestyle with you to find a solution that prevents foot pain and protects your feet as you move.
Activities To Try:
It can feel very challenging to begin a new form of exercise or introduce more activity into your life, but if you are prepared to start off small and gradually build towards realistic targets, you will soon begin to feel the benefits. Take your time to think about the types of exercise you might enjoy, and look around for opportunities to get involved with something new. Humans are wonderfully unique, and you may find that a sport you have never considered before is the perfect choice for you.
- Walking. Walking is an excellent form of all round exercise, giving you a good cardio workout as well as improving your stamina and general fitness. To keep your body in good health, you should exercise for at least 30 minutes, at least five times per week. A brisk walk can be a sociable way to exercise, when you arrange to join a local walking group or walk a dog with friends, and it’s also a great way to discover your local area and feel all the benefits of fresh air – an essential for a healthy body and mind. If you have not exercised before, it is very important to discuss your plans with a health professional to ensure you are well prepared. Finding the right footwear is a key way to protect yourself against injury and pain in the feet, legs, knees, hips and lower back, and our experienced staff can help you to find shoes that give you the appropriate support and cushioning for walking. Walking in shoes that do not have enough cushioning to absorb shock, for example, can put the feet under extreme pressure and lead to problems such as fractures or Morton’s Neuroma, which can affect the nerves in the feet.
- Running. Running is a popular form of exercise, particularly since you can tailor your workout to your own level of fitness and increase your strength and stamina at a rate that suits you. It is very important to consider your footwear when running, as unsuitable shoes can lead to foot pain and injury. Foot problems such as plantar fasciitis are common amongst runners, and can be caused by insufficient stretching of muscles before and after a run, and by shoes that are not supportive enough for your feet. Here at Foot Solutions, we stock Brooks Runners, designed to help you get the best from your life as a runner. With supportive, well cushioned shoes that will fit your foot like a glove, you’ll feel the difference in your feet straight away.
- Hiking. Hiking can mean many things, from a ramble across the local moorland to a jungle trek in a far flung location. Wherever you choose to take a hike, you’ll discover incredible parts of the world and may find that you are testing your endurance and commitment more than you might have expected. Hiking is great for mental health as well as physical health, opening up new vistas of imagination and opportunity, and it’s exciting to consider all of the potential you could unleash as you discover the benefits. Whatever your destination, you will need to find shoes that are up to the challenge, and here at Foot Solutions, we can help. Our extensive range of hiking shoes and boots includes top quality styles from Merrell, which feature advanced technologies and options to suit every eventuality. From lightweight jungle trekking shoes to sturdy mountain hiking boots, we’ll help you to find the perfect options for your lifestyle and your feet.
- Golf. Golf is a very popular pastime in Ireland, and it’s a great way to stay active. You’ll benefit from the time spent outdoors, as well as seeing improvements in your general fitness and mental agility. Golf is another way to exercise that lends itself to being sociable, so you can make the most of the chance to develop some healthy competition with friends new and old. Joining a local golf club can give you the motivation you need to get out there, and you’ll soon notice that being out in nature feels beneficial to you as well. You’ll need to think about the footwear you choose to wear for golfing, since your feet will be twisting and you may be walking long distances. You may find that orthotics designed to support your feet inside your shoes can transform the way your feet feel, and our customers are often surprised at the difference this can make to the comfort of their feet, legs and backs.
- Dancing. Dancing is a wonderful and challenging way to exercise, with styles varying from traditional ballroom to energetic jive. This is one of the most fun ways to meet new people and get fit, and you can explore local dance classes and community groups to find a style that suits you. Don’t give up if you don’t love the first type of dancing you try, as everyone is different and you may fall in love with a style you’ve never heard of before! Different styles of dance require different shoes, and you should seek expert advice to ensure that you do not risk injuring your feet. If your feet feel uncomfortable or you notice rubbing or soreness when you wear your dancing shoes, you may be at risk of developing problems such as calluses and bunions, and you should re-consider your choice of footwear.
What Do Our Customers Say?
Here at Foot Solutions, we are committed to helping every customer to enjoy a full and active life. Darin Egan came to see us when he was planning the trip of a lifetime, and we were delighted to hear his feedback.
Darin told us:
“I went into Foot Solutions in Stillorgan Village…in preparation for my climb of Mount Kilimanjaro the following September. I wanted to make sure that I had the correct support and footwear to get me from the beginning to the end of the climb without any pain or damage being done.
I was put through a complete Foot and Gait analysis by Kayt, who then advised me on what type of support I should be wearing while training for the climb itself. She measured and fitted me for a pair of custom made arch supports (orthotics), which were then fitted into a pair of Brooks training shoes, which she advised me to wear in the gym and when training/running for the climb. Kayt also made sure that the supports fitted well into my walking boots, which I would be wearing for the climb.
In September, I successfully climbed Kilimanjaro, and with the help of Foot Solutions, I was pain free and comfortable all the way! I would recommend that anybody who is training for either a climb like mine or simply training to keep fit should pay a visit to their nearest Foot Solutions store – after all, as the old saying goes, ‘Prevention is better than cure.”
If you are planning a tough challenge like Darin, or if you just want to get fitter, we would love to meet you and help you to achieve your goals.
Visit Foot Solutions For Comfortable Feet In Ireland
When you begin a new form of exercise, it’s very important to take care of your feet to avoid foot pain and injury. Here at Foot Solutions, we can help you to find a personalised solution that fits with your lifestyle, and we will take the time to get to know you and your feet and understand exactly what you need.
Come and try our impressive new Spring/Summer collection, including many top name brands that can transform the way your feet feel this year. To feel the Foot Solutions difference, just pop into your local store or book an appointment online now.