What Can You Do About Smelly Feet?
There are countless jokes about cheesy feet but if you actually live with the problem on a daily basis, you may feel that it’s not such a laughing matter.
Many people suffer with smelly feet, a condition known as bromodosis, and it can be embarrassing and unpleasant for the sufferer and those around them. With more sweat glands in the feet than in any other part of the body, sweaty feet are very common. However, when sweat cannot escape, and feet cannot dry out, bacteria begin to grow, releasing a cheesy odour.
Anyone can experience smelly feet at any time, but it is especially common in teenagers and pregnant women due to the hormonal changes that increase sweating. Whatever the cause, it’s important to know that you can solve the problem with a little time and attention.
Top Tips For Curing Smelly Feet:
- Keep your feet clean. Wash feet twice daily – with antibacterial soap if ordinary soap isn’t getting rid of the problem. Be sure to dry feet carefully as damp skin is the perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which can build up and cause smelly feet.
- Consider your footwear. Choose shoes that are made of leather or canvas to let your feet breathe. Give your feet some fresh air by choosing open-toed sandals in the summertime and avoid plastic footwear at all costs. Try to go barefoot at home wherever possible.
- Try insoles. Try wearing antibacterial insoles that will absorb smells. You can also buy sports socks or insoles that have a medicated surface that reduces perspiration and deodorises your feet.
- Change your socks daily. Choose cotton or wool socks that will let your feet breathe, rather than nylon, which can cause bacteria to build up. Change your socks at least once a day if you are experiencing smelly feet to keep them feeling fresh.
- Don’t wear the same shoes every day. Wearing the same shoes everyday can cause smelly feet because the damp, moist conditions that allow bacteria to thrive are created when your shoes are left in cupboards overnight and then put back on in the morning. The most important thing you can do to eliminate foot odour is to ensure you have at least two pairs of shoes that you can alternate wearing.
- Check it out. Visit your GP to rule out any underlying medical conditions that might cause your feet to smell, if these measures do not solve the problem. Some medical conditions can cause smelly feet as a symptom, so don’t ignore this problem on a long-term basis.
Looking for Comfortable Footwear in Ireland?
Check out the great range of shoes available at Foot Solutions. Foot Solutions have branches across Ireland and can help you to find the perfect shoes for your feet, as well as stocking many helpful products such as insoles and arch supports to keep your feet feeling great.
Visit Foot Solutions online now or call into your local branch for some professional support in solving all of your foot-related problems!