Foot problems are common and can be extremely painful, making life more difficult for those who suffer with them. Bunions are often associated with old age, or with wearing shoes that do not fit correctly, and they can be worsened by footwear that does not support the growing bunion or relieve the pressure that is causing it.
If you have bunions, you may find it very frustrating shopping for shoes since most will not fit your feet properly as a result of the condition. Bunions develop when the toes are crushed together by ill-fitting shoes and a bony growth appears on the big toe. Surgery may be an option for you, but it is not always suitable and it’s important to find shoes that will help to ease the pain.
What Sort of Shoes Will Ease Bunions?
Shoes that are wide and deep are the best type to accommodate bunions, and finding comfortable shoes will not only ease your pain, but will help prevent your bunions getting worse. Here’s how to find shoes that will help:
1. Shop for shoes at the end of the day. As the day progresses, our feet tend to swell. If you shop for shoes at the end of the day, when your feet are at their largest, you’ll ensure that the shoes you buy will be comfortable at all times.
2. Pick shoes with a wide, deep toe box. A specialist store such as Foot Solutions can help by measuring your feet and finding shoes that are perfect for the width of your foot as well as the length. The store will stock brands that are designed with comfort and support in mind as well as fashion, and they’ll carry a larger variety of widths than most stores.
3. Try shoes on. Try shoes on if you are considering them, and walk around as much as you can in the store to check the fit and the comfort. Make sure that your bunions aren’t rubbing anywhere, and try a wider or deeper option if they are.
4. Try custom arch supports. Custom arch supports are designed to fit your foot perfectly and to ease the pressure on areas where you feel foot pain. Bunion shields may also be an option to provide extra cushioning inside your shoes and make them feel more comfortable.
5. Consider custom shoes. If you’re in extreme discomfort, it may be worth considering custom shoes, which can be designed to accommodate bunions and guarantee a perfect fit.
Find Shoes to Relieve Foot Pain in Ireland
If you’re experiencing foot pain of any kind, you may find great relief when you choose shoes that are supportive and fit you well. Visit Foot Solutions today for a free gait analysis test and we’ll help you to find the best solution for your feet.